Another experiment with the Robotis CM-900 and my Arduino ADK. This time it’s using a Pololu MinIMU-9 v2 and three Dynamixel AX-12A’s to try to keep the little teddy bear straight and facing North. Sometimes the sensors get a bit confused and the actuators follow to create interesting circle patterns. But overall it seems to be working ok.
Some things I learned;-)
- Don’t try to put a compass sensor too close to electric motors;-) When you think about it, it makes sense. But I needed a while to figure our why the sensors delivered different/strange values whenever I tried to turn the motors on.
- Also acceleration/deceleration would need some extra considerations to make the movements somewhat smoother.
- The ADK seems to be happy being supplied with power through the `reverse’ USB connection from the CM-900. I’m not so sure if that’s a supported feature, but it seems to work OK.
- Using human readable lines as the interface over the USB connection makes testing the pieces easy. But parsing them needs some effort. I had to modify a sscanf() function source for the CM-900 because the normal libc version would pull in to much and create a too large image to upload:-(
Here are some more images of the setup. The two source projects are here: Robotis_Pan_Tilt and Robotis_Pan_Tilt_CM900
As always, have fun combining things;-)
Pingback: Robotis CM-900 and Pololu MinIMU-9 - Marco's Corner